Wednesday, 7 January 2009

Karma.

We sat in the car with the engine running for warmth and shared out the left overs from our lunch boxes. It was getting late and I was worried that before too long our youngest would be needing the loo. The frost was beginning to appear on rooftops.

My ears were still smarting from the conversation with my husband and on top of this the credit on my phone was running low.

"What do you want me to do? I'm closing the store, I can't come all the way home to let you in and get all the way back again."

"Well, I didn't do it on purpose did I? I was in such a rush to get out this morning I forgot they were in my other coat pocket."

I could hear him chuntering on the other end of the line, followed by mutterings and inaudible swearing. I wouldn't mind but he has been guilty of the same thing himself.

We had more words ending in a row at which point he put the phone down.

"Is he coming mum?" asked our eldest.

"Not sure love." I answered through gritted teeth. I would deal with him later but for now I needed to get into the house. I dialed the number again in a dangerously calm manner.

"Is that chap on duty today who you gave a lift to, he lives this way doesn't he? Couldn't you give your keys to him and ask him to drop by the house?"

There followed an angry stubborn silence as my husband realised this was the sensible thing to do.

"I'll ask him if he minds."

"OK, we'll hang on here then, see you later."

Off he went still chuntering and annoyed because I had found a way out of my own mess.

We chatted and laughed in the car for a good forty minutes until our hero arrived on his quad bike. I laughed with him about our predicament and thanked him for coming to our rescue as he handed over the spare set to the house. With a certain amount of gratification I noticed that my husbands' car keys were still attached.

7 comments:

  1. I've had conversations like that with my wife. Nice rendering of tension. Glad to see a new post from you! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha - serves him right! glad you and kidlets were okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to suppose there is an interesting future for the hero on the quad bike and the lost key lady. Maybe? The ironic twist would be fun to play out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brad, it's good to be back, thanks for your kind attention.

    Annie, thank you very much for stopping by and may I officially welcome you to the blog. Hope to see you here again soon.
    Annie's blog is well worth a look folks.

    Don, I'll give that idea some thought. A little romance never did anyone harm, did it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laughing my head off....smug smug smug....hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pinky: I may have used just a tad of artistic licence to end this tale of woe:-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.