Thursday, 29 January 2009

Phrase for Today.

Taken from the book featured here, Bloomsbury Anthology of Quotations.


The displacement of a little sand can change occasionally the course of big rivers.

Manuel Gonzalez Prada (1844-1918) Peruvian politician and writer.

Since I've been having a good think lately about change and truth in myself and in my work after reading posts by Brad and Selchie; (see people of interest down left column) I found this quote inspiring, challenging and worthy of consideration.

7 comments:

  1. And the misplacement of a few words can change the course of big novels. Paraphrasing John Gardner, a writer should never make mistakes that will awaken a reader from the fictive dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you giving the same advice to Brad a while ago. As I'm beginning to take my work more seriously I thank you for drawing my attention to the importance of not interrupting the reader with avoidable errors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Strong Elemental Wisdom.Thanks For The Signpost to Mr Prada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually the displacement of a little sand ends up inside my swimming trunks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome Tony.

    Brad: I can recommend a good cream for any chaffing which may occur in the trunk department.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brad wears swimming trunks? How quaint. How Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have swimming trunks with suspenders. It's the latest rage. I'm working on my handlebar mustache as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.