Saturday, 28 February 2009

Boxofficegirl in Peril.



I started this blog last August after the first initial threat of redundancy and this week the Indians have been circling again. I have thus far managed to dodge gunfire but other's have not been so lucky including loved ones closer to home.

I am relieved of course to still be employed,( what would happen to Boxofficegirl if I wasn't?) But there is also a part of me who longs to tell the bureaucrats to shove it before marching off into a brave new world, or in my case stepping aboard a No 2 bus heading away from the city lights.

So, for the time being, I am still shackled to the wheels of commerce thanks to the latest rescue package yet can't help but wonder about the wealth of unimagined experiences waiting out there if the decision to cut me loose was made for me and I really did have to go into the world and live off my wits. I'm beginning to think it might be an adventure worth taking the risk for.


7 comments:

  1. I'm sure you need advice of this kind from the kind of person who has cut the strings so many times and gone off on a tangent of wit-living, so often that now the strings won't even bother with me, even when I wouldn't mind, but you're going to get it anyway.

    You have children.

    When they are old enough to be responsible for themselves (in my book, that means past 18), then you and your husband can and should spend the rest of your days cutting strings, chasing rainbow's ends, and getting into interesting trouble.

    So, first, don't have any more children. All that does is keep delaying the joys of risk-taking.

    I'll shut up about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I knew there was another reason why I should remain a sensible, responsible, tax paying citizen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a terrifying situation to be sure, but sometimes it's those moments that yield the most wealth to our lives. If the job does go away, try to view the situation as an opening up into possibility instead of something channeling you into despair.

    Most of our chains are self-created. Freedom is an intrinsic element to our lives. It's quite terrifying. To me, at least.

    Boxofficegirl could continue even if you weren't employed at a Box Office. Our own lives are windows to the observations of others. Perhaps your window will open out onto something wider, richer, and more colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All our lives are different - I am on the verge of taking "the plunge" - but that's my life. If you decide to do it - best of good luck and wishes.

    One life - one chance.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our lives are exploding around us like fireworks which is both frightening and exhilarating all at the same time. It may take a while yet before things settle down, if they do at all, but as I've always maintained; I would much rather engage in the roller-coaster thrill of life than settle for the safe, predictable rotation of a roundabout.

    Thanks for checking in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the no2 bit, it reminds me of Rik taking the last freedom moped out of nowhere city in the Young Ones, if you rememeber that. I say follow your instincts, you know best what's best for you.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the Young Ones Selchie except for the little one, Mike, I think he was called, wasn't keen on him.

    I feel the wind of change and something is telling us to grab it with both hands. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.