Tuesday, 17 February 2009

Denial.

(Woman approaches girl standing outside the dry cleaners smoking)

I know you.

(Girl looks alarmed, shrugs her shoulders in a dismissive way and avoids making eye contact with the woman.)

People pretend they don't know me after a few years of not seeing me because I look down on my luck but I don't do that -

I know you.

(louder)

Ask her. (nods her head towards the assistant in the dry cleaners who sides with the girl by staring vacantly and uncomfortably back. )

She knows all about me and I know all about you. I remember people and I don't pretend.

(Woman shuffles away down the busy street, her crutches hindering rather than aiding her dignified exit. Every few steps she turns to look back. In the shop the girl and attendant raise their eyebrows and continue with the pretence of not knowing.)

7 comments:

  1. We All Crave To Be Know......Or least that's what we think.Until someone does then we are not so sure anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fine making for a theatrical play. Maybe it's time for you to move from the box office to the proscenium.

    Seriously, from someone who has written a few one-act plays, this is just how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this reminds me of a rather scary thing that happened to me on the subway in philadelphia (city of brotherly love, hah!) i was sitting there... minding my own business... when a woman... clearly disturbed, came up to me and said... "you can't hide what you are from me!" punched me in the head, and ran off at the next stop. it was weird... scary... and really really weird...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony: I know exactly what you mean, there is something to be said for retaining an air of mystery and distance. Familiarity can lead to contempt.

    Don: Your words mean so very much to me, you inspire, encourage and challenge me to think outside of my comfort zone. Thank you.

    Annie: I can't believe she punched in the head!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the same thing as Don as I reading this. Give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can buy books or booklets of theatrical productions, one-act plays and beyond, at most bookstores. Pick up a couple and have a look. You might find it, if nothing else, a good exercise in dialogue, and you may also find it to be a comfortable fit for the way you think and write.

    The most difficult part of it is learning and remembering that you can only illuminate and progress the story through dialogue and movement, no narrative to tell the readers (or viewers in this case) what you want them to be aware of. It is the ultimate show don't tell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ironically, even though I work in a theatre, I had not thought of looking at dialogue this way. It makes perfect sense of course.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.