Wednesday, 4 February 2009

Repeat to Fade.

Grey mass seeped like mist rolling in from the sea foam-balling beach bathers as they awoke from sun drenched sleep to find themselves cold and clammy enveloped in white stumbling about like children with newly formed feet. She remembers stepping aboard the bus knowing without looking that it was the right bus heading into an endless line of rear tail-lights motioning her into daydreams trickling across her eyelids in a prism of psychedelic dew twisting through the tree-lined avenue of endless journey’s flight just like this one taken many times before, so many times before she wished the road and the bus would remember her imprint stained into her seat like a video recorder playing over rendering her physical presence obsolete no longer required in order for the film to roll out the repartition of her decay. Edges of time blurry with nothing to differentiate routine besides contents of sandwiches, covers of books, and faces at the window - so many different faces - snarling sniping coveting demanding dishing out poison drip drop drip drop before coming home again to see the man in the street walking his dog at the exact same time today tomorrow yesterday nodding his head in recognition of the time-warp he treads she treads they tread ignorant of the ghosts they will become careful not to disturb the ones already dead and gone. Fleeting moments of clarity trapped inside her head she shakes and holds in an effort to remember why she took the bus and where exactly was it she was going before the mist descended without mercy without gaps – there had always been gaps - through which to see the sun and focus the mind calming her breath on the window pane smudged by pained fingers tracing circles in a silent plea to wipe this tape and begin again.

11 comments:

  1. i especially liked the line ... stumbling like children with newly formed feet :). so nice to see you... i missed all my blogging friends so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Annie for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely. The idea that we are somehow sleep walking through life but sometimes having glimpses of the light beyond our vision. Beautifully written).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Selchie, thank God! I was quite nervous about putting this post out in case it was too much even for my broad minded readers.
    I had considered not putting any punctuation in at all so as not to interrupt, maybe next time.

    Thanks for the your encouragement and kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny because I didnt become aware of the gaps in punctuation until you described the faces. It briefly passed through my mind but I think that was the only point where I felt like I needed a pause.)
    Don't worry. I know it's hard not to but I think everyone feels the same, inc me when they go out of their comfort zone. And really the whole purpose of a blog is for me an opportunity to play around.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly and I'm thrilled you understood where I was coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Style shift! There's some chewy rhythm going on in those sentences. Read some Cormac McCarthy if you haven't already. He's fond of stringing together a series of actions like this into sentences that encapsulate an entire moment in a sort of smooth sheen even those that moment is comprised of many elements.

    I like that you're branching out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Brad, I had a look at his website when I read your comment where there are a few samples of his work. I see what you mean with respect to smooth sheen comprised of elements.

    I'm giving myself a few exercises to do in an attempt to diversify and experiment - I never know what's going to come out of the wardrobe next.

    Thanks for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dig this. The title is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Matt, your presence and comments are always welcome here. I must admit I hoped you might read this one as I had a feeling the style would appeal. Thanks for the thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No prob. Thanks for sharing. Oh and "mercy without gaps", love that. It's a slap of a phrase.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.