Monday, 23 March 2009

My Town continued...


A few pictures of Nottingham and surrounding area near to where I grew up.

Left and right is the old market square which features from time to time a big wheel where at £5 per person you can take a ride and see for miles. We haven't done this yet but a few friends have and said it was brilliant fun and yes you can indeed see way across the county.

The Robin Hood statue stands proudly at the entrance to the castle just up from the town centre. Once a strong hold and fortress it now houses a museum and a few years ago myself and the family went along to see an exhibition of pre-Raphaelite work which was wonderful. Some scoundrel keeps steeling Robin's bow and it's had to be replaced a number of times recently. Probably some outlaw on his way home from 'Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem', which is reputed to be the oldest pub in England and situated just down the hill from the castle. Both can be reached via Friar Lane or Maid Marian Way.
Below is a picture of my house. OK, not really. This is Wollaton Hall just half a mile or so from my parent's home. I've spent many an afternoon rambling around the hall and grounds and as a Brownie walked 10 times around the lake for sponsorship money. Each rotation is about a mile, so no mean task for a seven year old. The hall used to belong to the Willoughby family but is owned by Nottingham City Council these days putting on all kinds of public and educational events throughout the year. Last year, I took a 'behind the scenes' tour up into the turrets and onto the roof as well as checking out the cellars and kitchens restored to their former glory. Legend has it that Lady Willoughby haunts the roof floating about in white but I couldn't spot her, I think she must have been on a lunch break.




The Deer wander freely around the grounds and lake but I haven't been lucky enough to bag one yet despite taking hunting lessons from my good friend Robin. The rutting season has led to a couple of precarious moments in that department but that's another story...

We are very fortunate in as much as we live within easy reach of many places of historical interest in the midlands; Chatsworth House isn't far and neither is Haddon Hall, home of the Manners family. Keddleston Hall, which is the Curzon family seat is also a stones throw away. I think our families must have been off -shoots of the spare rather than heir since we are very much the poor relations in this particular dynasty.

Hey-ho, back to the keyboard then to see if I can revive lost fortunes or better still create a new one.





5 comments:

  1. Much of England is so bucolic that one might suppose it is really a theme park disguised as a country. But you know, I will confess, that of all the places we've both lived and visited extensively on this planet, and in spit of the extreme idiosyncratic oddities of the English people, it is when I am in England (and Scotland) that I feel most at home, most comfortable, the strongest sense of belonging. Plop my ass in a decent flat in Hempstead and live to live out my days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that last line is supposed to be leave me to live out

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, we are odd and do indeed display a host of idiosyncrasies which I love about the people here. I have Irish blood on my mother's side and the welcome there is something to be marvelled at but my heart will always belong to England's green and pleasant land.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always marvel at the differences in the world. I sometimes call the land here in Texas beautiful, but it is an austere, rugged, and often existential beauty compared to the lushness of many parts of the world. Those are wonderful shots. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Brad. Sometimes we need to look at our world through the eyes of a stranger in order to appreciate what we have.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.