Saturday, 11 April 2009

I Dreamed a Dream / Les Miserables.

Some of you might recognise these lyrics from the production of Les Miserables. It's a beautiful song and the words are just as haunting without the music. This is the scene where Fantine is left alone, unemployed and destitute.
There was a time when men were kind
When their voices were soft
And their words inviting
There was a time when love was blind
And the world was a song
And the song was exciting
There was a time
Then it all went wrong


I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high
And life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving
Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted

But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hope apart
And they turn your dream to shame


He slept a summer by my side
He filled my days with endless wonder
He took my childhood in his stride
But he was gone when autumn came


And still I dream he'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather


I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.

10 comments:

  1. The tigers come at night would make a good title for something. The sort of thing that stares at you from the night with eyes deviled by a flashlight and then blinks back to the darkness from which it wholly emerged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Boxie,

    I see this as a reflection on lost love and missed opportunities. Or maybe it's just me being introspective today.

    I think the Amsterdam red light area needs another visit - for writing research purposes, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And to you Annie, albeit a few days late. Hope you had a special one.

    Funny how some sentences leap out at you isn't Brad? For me it was the 'no wine untasted' line that resonated.

    We visited Amsterdam a few years ago John. Fascinating place. A woman in a shop window enticed people to come closer and I remember watching a man in a raincoat accepting her kind invitation to come in for tea. He must have been thirsty because he was in there for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tea??? I think the lady I saw had a gambling addiction - the poor woman kept telling me she'd blown twenty euros.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're back safe and sound John.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too,Boxie. Me too.

    How's the script?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slow, the more I read, the more I need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post and the song in general . Good luck with the reading. Look forward to seeing where you are heading with it when you share
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Linda and may I take this opportunity to welcome you to the blog. I will of course return the compliment.

    I think I'm going to have to combine reading with writing otherwise we could be here for some time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.