Saturday, 23 May 2009

Shadow.

Do you want to tell me about it?

Not sure.

We can take as much time as you need. Really, there is no hurry, we have a good ten minutes left.

Silence.

You look better today, you have a little colour in your cheeks.

S'pose.

How are things at work?

I don't want to talk about work. I hate that job, do you hear me? Hate it! Why don't you ask me about my mother? You're supposed to ask me about my mother.

Do you want to talk about your mother -

No.

I didn't think so. You know we might not get another opportunity to chat for some time. I know what it cost for you to come here today, I understand and I want to help.

Very reassuring, you seem to have got the hang of this. How about me asking you a few questions? Come on, don't be shy, we still have a good...oh, seven minutes at least before it's time for me to leave. Why don't you tell me about your notes?

There just notes to help me remember our conversations, nothing more.

That's not entirely true is it?

I wouldn't lie to you. What would I gain by lying? There would be no point.

(Laughs) Exactly. There is no point in taking notes you will never look at again. Who are you kidding with this anyway, certainly not the people who know you. Have you noticed how they stop listening when you talk about your work? Work! There's the joke in itself.

I'm sorry if it bothers you, would it help if I were to put my notebook down?

Why are you being so nice to me? You're always being nice to me. I bet you're nice to everyone even when you don't feel like it, even when you're screaming inside and want to tear their faces apart for asking stupid questions.

I don't have a problem with anger if that's what you mean.

Liar.

I see our time has come to an end. Is there anything else you would like to say before we conclude?

We haven't even begun to scratch the surface.

Quite so. Plenty more to discuss for next time.

I'm counting the nights already.

2 comments:

  1. Nights are to be counted.

    Days are to be reveled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are more shadows at night, of the dark kind, that's for sure.

    Thank you as always for your input Matt.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.