Tuesday, 26 January 2010

Golden Opportunity.

I had a meeting today with a friend of mine who runs a youth drama group. He has asked me to come up with a script for about five-six characters, something upbeat, which will last for approximately fifteen minutes or in writer's terms, eleven sides of A4.

I'm quite chuffed about this.

There is no financial gain before you ask but what it does present is a chance to show myself and others what I can do and see it played out in front of an audience. I have known this chap for ten years plus, he's been an active member of the local amateur dramatics during that time and when he mentioned a year or two ago that he thought eleven to sixteen year old would benefit from a group of their own which he would run, I took a certain amount of interest but no more than that. It's his thing, like trying to write is mine. We have a lot in common on many levels, his kids attend the same school as our eldest, but we don't tread on each other's artistic toes.

Thinking about it now as I write this it seems ridiculous to me that we didn't venture down this road before now. We've had many conversations in the past about books and writing etc, but never put our heads together on a combined project. I'm looking forward to the challenge and the hands on experience of seeing my words brought to life in fact ideas are already starting to flow. I've been so busy concerning myself with trying to come up with the next big thing in terms of writing that a golden opportunity almost slipped through my fingers. Even Alan Bennett had to start somewhere and so I'm more than happy, honoured, to make my start right here on the doorstep.

10 comments:

  1. Very cool! Upbeat, hmm? Guess you won't be engaging the Beckettian themes then. I look forward to hearing more about this as it develops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty much how it works, most of the time. So much of life is simply accidental. Anyway. This does sound like a good way for you to see how your written dialogue works when spoken from a stage, not to mention fine practice for your playwriting skills in general. This is what you do well, Tracey, so it should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beckett? No. We went to see Mother Courage at the National Theatre when I was studying drama all those years ago and I know he's considered to be a genius but...between you and me it was a tad depressing.

    I might have to stay away from the blog for a while as he wants a draft by the end of Feb' but thanks for your continued support Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope so Don. It will be a good exercise in organising and working to a deadline, a discipline I need to get to grips with if I'm ever going to come up with the goods in this craft.

    Thank you too for sticking around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a great opportunity. It must be strange to see your words take Life & Form in front of you.Keep Us Updated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Tony, it will be both nerve racking and exciting I imagine. The script is starting to come together, I do at least have an outline which is always a plus:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Point of note with reference to Brad's comment about Beckett and themes. I do realise that Mother Courage was in fact written by Brecht and not Beckett. My faux pas hit me like a bullet when I was in the shower this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lovely, sounds like a great project, I always enjoy you're dialogues so it's a good fit. Perhaps you can film the final production so we can enjoy it?...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Sarah. Not sure about the filming as it involves children/young adults but if we get the go ahead then - sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds exciting! Be sure to let us know about your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.