Monday, 4 January 2010

House of Eeyore.

I've been having a virtual holiday as well as one from the normal routines of daily life by spending time looking around at other web sites to see what the general feeling about writing might be. My ears are now clogged with the buzz of thousands, millions of conversations going on all over the Internet, all over the world. It truly is an amazing thing. Everyone has something to say on the subject and there are a few who like to push their point home in a very determined manner whilst those with a quieter, softer approach are in danger of becoming lost in the melee. I'm not sure just how much the former hope to endear themselves to would be agents or publishers but they do appear to practice the 'he who shouts loudest' philosophy rather freely, verbally bashing anyone who stands in their way or dares to disagree unless they prove themselves to be a worthy adversary. Not an easy task for the frail and vulnerable.

Something else that has struck me is how difficult it is to read/understand the comments that people from different cultural backgrounds make. What could be deemed as light hearted here was taken very seriously elsewhere and vice versa. It makes me wonder just how much time the individual spends in front of their computer screens, as oppose to engaging with the world in the physical sense, for minor details to become such major issues?

On the plus side, the challenges can be rewarding. Being alive in the world, having an opinion and somewhere to put it without undue risk to one's personal safety, encourages a healthy attitude towards debate and respect for the views of others. Something I have always felt was practised here to be honest and although I may wander abroad from time to time to see what the other fella' thinks, these few sticks of virtual furniture will always be home to me.

8 comments:

  1. It can be noisy out there for sure. But that's better than swelling silence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and after a few hours of peace and quiet I find I'm more than happy to go back into the throngs again. Bit like life really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Souds like you've been doing some serious exploring of writing websites. So which ones were the best?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Kate, fancy seeing you here and very welcome you are too.

    As to which ones were the best...the jury is still out on that one:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right on the money girl ! I will be returning to business as usual and the blog world on Monday...and look forward to everything that I have been missing over the last few weeks. It's good for the soul !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Contrary to Brad, I frankly abhor the sort of noise the Internet sustains. Were it not for the tiny bit of music that sings out through the ignorant cacophony, I would happily toss all its machinery out the window and wallow in the silent music my own mind plays well enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patrick, Happy New Year! Great to see you back again although I have been checking in with you from time to time just see that you've been behaving yourself. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year to you too Don. Your comment was beautifully - I would go as far as 'poetically' -written.
    I agree with you to an extent but still felt the need to poke my nose outside the front door of cyberspace to see for myself. I've never been a fan of forums but have learned that there are some exceptions, one in particular, which might even be of interest to your good self. I'll email and then you can decide.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.