Tuesday, 2 February 2010

The Blog is Dead Long Live the Don.

It saddens me that Don Merritt can no longer be found blogging randomly from that corner of cyberspace I have long associated with him ever since we came into contact with each around eighteen months ago. He was part of my daily Internet checks starting with email - blog - followed by Don or Brad's blog depending on who had posted most recently followed by anyotherbusiness. In virtual terms, I know these garden gates and paths like the back of my hand but now one of those houses is empty, vacant, return to sender, address unknown.

Coincidentally, just as I joined Facebook to see what all the fuss was about, Don joined too. Brad was already there as was Rose and a few others have cropped up along the way so we are once again reunited in friendship with a great big Hooray!

I will continue to blog onwards and hopefully upwards. It is time consuming and there is always the fear that the little bit of creative energy I had in me that day was spent on the blog rather than 'the next big thing' on the best seller list but I'm happy to continue for now. Don has his reasons and I must say that on the whole I can see where he's coming from. He has 'killed his darlings' as one famous quote has it in order to realise the bigger picture which for a Novelist is sometimes the only way to go.

The Blog is dead but you can still find Don on Facebook looking very much alive, well and ready for the next big adventure. Isn't that right Don?

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, kinda know where Don is comming from. My blog isn't dead, but there are some serious cobwebs on it. I am working on this final revision and hopefully my book will be out in March. I should have been done with this in August. As far as the the blog goes...well it was started for fun and a release of other creative energy...and I enjoy it...I just can't seem to find the right balance anymore...so it's all book and no blog for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it has to be that way Patrick, if we are to get any gainful work done. Better to favour the book over the blog. The blog will still be here when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, I just sent an email to Donigan expressing my regret at the loss of his blog. Waaa! I'm trying to bug him into transfering all the content to Blogger or something, so all his posts will still be floating around somewhere but so far he hasn't bit. I also said that I often felt ambivalent about blogging too, but that I was also often glad for the break it gave me from working on my book. Sometimes I need a break from that project (oh, and the others) - but I still want to write something.... Plus, I have a lot of fun with it and am still making new and interesting connections, and coming across people who inspire me and give me new ideas. Now I'm rambling. Anyway, glad that you're on Facebook now, as well as Donigan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is for Patrick (I couldn't find a place to comment on your blog.) I like your "Real Housewives" idea. Did you ever see The Trailer Park Boys?? I miss that show....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rose. Yes, it's strange but I think there are a few of us feeling bereft which is silly I know because Don is around, just not in that familiar corner house we have come to associate with him. I'm not sure he'll pick up the thread again on Blogger or anywhere else but it would be comforting to know his pages were not lost forever, that they might materialise elsewhere.

    You know that scene in Lord of the Rings when Gandalf the Grey is lost to the Fellowship and they are scattered to the four winds to continue their quest...?

    COME BACK DON, WE NEED YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice this is to read. This is rather selfish of me, because I can still, and do daily, visit your blog(s), but I took mine away. Is this like "let me play with your toys but you can't play with mine?"

    And Tracey, you might as well remove that link you have to my old blog, because it's not coming back.

    If I do this again, it will be private, not public, and if that happens, I will send you a note ... because I miss you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay dear, you can put me back on your list now. I am here:

    http://doniganmerritt.typepad.com

    Come visit soon ...

    D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very much a moving target at the moment. Found on Facebook but with no option to befriend. Finally tracked down on WordPress; but, Don, will you still be there next time I blink?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought I could be "friended," John. I'll check it. As far as the blogging activity, I wax and wan and have a willy-nilly kind of approach to it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.