Monday, 12 April 2010

Surfacing.

Just taking a bit of a break from a world which has scarily, taken over me.

I began adapting the youth theatre script as a 'calling card' for television and soon realised that I had plenty of work to do. The original is only about 15 minutes long and to make the story work for TV, I need it to be around 90 minutes so you see what I'm up against. A couple of the characters, including the main one, have undergone name changes and acquired families I knew nothing about until I unearthed them. The more I live in their world the harder it is to come back to reality; I am obsessed to the point of exhaustion and find I cannot bare to be apart from them for more than a couple of hours at a time in case they do something without my knowledge. I lay awake at night thinking about this scene or that, would he/she really behave in this way and is there a need for words at all when action could say far more?

I printed off the first 20 pages and soon found that the words on the page sound very different to the spoken word when read out loud. I became the characters, standing this way then that, feeling the emotion running through their veins. Stanislavsky would be proud of my method acting and I knew that degree in Drama would come in handy one day.

I'm having the time of my life. I love the process of script writing, how immediate it is; how vital and alive the characters are as they spring off the page, visible within seconds telling their stories faster than I can type sometimes. I have so many ideas, anything and everything I contemplated for a short story or character study will find a home now, no more wandering aimlessly between the pages of a forgotten notebook or blog post.

Come my darlings, come toward the light!

5 comments:

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.