Saturday, 17 January 2015

Sleeping Beauty.

I've just finished whizzing through Paul McKenna's latest book, The Three Things That Will Change Your Destiny Today! which was gifted to me by a very loving and thoughtful sister. (Thank you, Lynn.)

Mr McKenna incorporates the teachings of a range of key spiritual practices and condenses them into accessible bite-sized portions. Towards the end of the book he talks about his own journey through life and how he was influenced by the work of enlightened Scotsman, Sydney Banks. Banks had little education and struggled with a sense of insecurity until one day in a chance meeting with a psychotherapist, was told he wasn't insecure, he just thought he was. McKenna picks up on this theme and asks:

'What are the things you tell yourself that limit the future you are creating...?'
 
It's a good question and one that I've found myself thinking about a lot recently.
 
I've never been very good at dealing with change especially if change is sprung upon me without any warning. My default answer is usually a fearful, ' Oh, I can't, sorry,' before I've even considered the possibility or given due consideration to, 'Actually, maybe I could...' Occasionally I surprise myself but not often. It's learned behaviour and I know I need to unlearn it if rot and stagnation are to be thwarted from setting in.
 
I'm reminded of customers buying their theatre tickets, teeth clenched behind grim lips because somebody else has already purchased the seat they always sit in. The idea of sitting elsewhere with an altered view of the stage is, to them, unthinkable.
 
But is it...?
And if so, why?

As an analogy of life this idea works well for me. I always sit in the same seat to watch television for example or, before my accident, the same area of seating on the bus to work. We have the same place for meals at the family table. My grocery shopping list is pretty uniform with the odd exception here and there. I veil complaints to my husband for not being  the Ethan Hunt, as played by Tom Cruise, character I dream he should be. His response, rightly so is: 'Well, you're not exactly setting the world on fire either, are you?' He's right. Nobody could accuse me of living life on the edge despite all claims to fame.

So, what else do we do or not do - albeit unconsciously, which filters and limits learning and growth in our lives? If we are habitually capable of re-enforcing the negative surely it stands to reason that with a little patience and effort we can begin to build on the positive, turning the If only's and I cant's into I can, I do and I did!  

There is nothing in McKenna's book that I personally have not read a thousand different ways before which again makes me wonder - what on earth! I remember reading but I'm beginning to think it's more a question of retaining the knowledge. It's not that we don't know but that we/I can't remember. We lapse back into unconsciousness once the euphoria of the latest 'new idea' has settled. Like our Christmas presents, which at the time filled us with untold joy, are then left scattered about the house until they somehow integrate with the rest of the household clutter lurking in already bulging cupboards or crammed beneath dusty beds. Forgotten until they are once more 'discovered' again.

I have woken from unconsciousness many times over only to fall asleep again the moment the party is over; and left to my own devices, cobwebs are never long in the making.

The book comes with a motivational DVD and a CD which I have diligently employed thus far. (It's still new, you see.) The meditation on the CD is quite nice to drift off to in bed, gently lulling me to sleep as Mr McKenna croons comforting words of positive stereo support into my sub-conscious mind. 'This is not like sleep...' he tells me as I open the door to dream-world. ' If you need to wake up, you will awaken feeling refreshed and alert...' I believe him even though I'm half way to slumber town and everything else he's saying is lost in the mist...

I'm at an awards ceremony. Tom Cruise is there and begs me for my phone number as I sachet to the stage amidst the applause and a standing ovation. My speech is sublime and the audience laugh with genuine appreciation, hanging on my every word. I have become a being of light radiating the positive energy of self-realization - There is nothing that I cannot do!

This was where I was meant to be.
This is my world.
I have come home.

Tom is by my side trying to tell me something extremely important but I can't make out what it is. Another voice keeps interrupting, shouting louder AND LOUDER over him. I shake my head in frustration and reach out for Tom but he's suddenly much further away! This other voice demands my attention, COMMANDING me to -

THREE

TWO

ONE...

WAKE UP!

WAKE UP NOW!


8 comments:

  1. Nice, Tracey! You said it yourself. 'There is nothing that I cannot do!' Now go do it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is quite a coincidence -- quite apart from the light-hearted tone of your post you put forward a number of issues which I find myself having to face up to a disturbingly regular basis -- I recently purchased the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook for Dummies by Rhena Branch and Rob Willson. A bit early to say as I have only just started it, but it does look promising. Maybe I'll get that book written yet!

    Sounds as if your hubby needs a talking to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janys, I have complete faith that you will too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant. Great post, made me smile! 😄

    ReplyDelete

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.