Monday, 15 June 2015

Submit to Rejection.

I have been writing in one form or another for years. Decades. Since the dawn of time. (Stop rolling your eyes, I know you've heard it all before...) I'm pretty sure my first submission anywhere - ever - was a poem I sent to a newspaper. I thought it was a deep and meaningful reflection on a current issue but much to my amazement they politely declined my offer.

My next outing came in the form of a romance idea for a certain well known publisher. This time I did my research, (in as much as you could in the days without the world at your fingertips as we have now.) I studied the format and gave it my best shot and knew I was on to a winner. How could I possibly fail? Having done the hard graff required in producing the first three chapters on my word processor, I submitted.

Several weeks of letter box surveillance later...my manuscript plopped back on the mat.

Through intervening years, children arrived. I continued to write in as much as I kept a journal, observed the world around me and wrote books in my head. I joined book clubs advertised in Sunday magazines and began reading more than I was writing. I subscribed to writing magazines and at first devoured them as soon as they appeared, making diligent notes and marking competitions closing dates that I never quite got around to entering. The dream was easier than the reality. Before long, the magazines began to pile up until I accepted there was no way I was ever going to get through them let alone write anything worthy. Many of them ended up in recycling before the cellophane wrapper had even been taken off. I cancelled the subscriptions, re-instated and cancelled again repeatedly as time went on and my list of priorities changed.

Except for one.

I kept one subscription going because I could not bear the thought of never reading about writing again.

 In 2008 I had another lease of creative life and started this blog. It seemed incredible that writing could be so instant and accessible via the mere push of a button. Some might argue this has not been a totally good thing and I've certainly written my fair share of drivel but at last I was writing in the public domain. I found other like-minded people to connect with and yet again the dream was re-ignited. I began to learn the craft but only in as much as it related to creating blog posts. Beyond this my output was pretty lame but at least I was writing and it was being read by a small group of online acquaintances plus the odd passer-by.

My confidence grew and I submitted a book review. Looking back, I'm pretty sure this particular competition didn't attract many people because mine was chosen for publication. The prize was a £10 Book Token. Giddy with excitement from my overnight success I entered a short story competition convinced it was a no-brainer as far as the organisers were concerned.

(Oh be quiet!)

A year or so later once I'd got over that particular disappointment, I decided to cut out the middle man and write a script instead. Someone had commented on the blog that my talents were better suited as a dramatist so off I trotted to invest in Final Draft software. Anybody could write a book but if you wanted fame and fortune, writing for film and television was the place to be. I sweated, starved and neglected the family in the name of creativity and produced a full length script in time for a major competition. Even my husband was impressed. There could be no doubt now, my future as a professional writer was secure.

(I'm glad you find this amusing but I'm trying impart years of hard earned wisdom here.) 

Yet again I wasted time licking my wounds before returning to the blog. Here at least I was master of my own words and anyway - what did it matter? I enjoyed writing with or without an audience. (Denial is a wonderful defence.) 'How to...' books gradually found their way to the back of the bookcase and I settled for my cosy corner of the virtual planet. With the exception of a final hoorah in the shape of another short story competition, I pretty much withdrew to write the occasional blog post.

Life went on in this pedestrian way for some time...Until last year.

Life threw a curve ball and everything changed. In the midst of chaos I turned to the blog and the internet for comfort and once again sought the company of other writers as a distraction. I engaged, made friends, took notice and realised this time was different. This time I was fully awake to learning the craft, setting aside everything I thought I knew in favour of beginning again. This time I was determined to get it right.

This year I began to submit work on a regular basis. I finally understood that no matter how much effort, dreaming and swooning I put into a blog post, no more than a hand full of people were going to see it. If you want your work to be noticed, the simple rule is you have to put it and yourself out there on the understanding that much if not all is going to come back. I have a list of deadlines in my hardback notebook which are gradually being ticked off. I have surprised myself because these days I don't always remember what it is I'm supposed to be doing but for some reason I remember to do what is on this list.

 Since January I've had two rejections and I'm fully expecting more. With every rejection comes a deeper sense of being part of a world I have been seeking all these years. One day the response will be favourable and a piece I have written will be accepted. I am willing to be patient. I am willing to learn from past mistakes. More importantly, I am willing to submit! submit! submit! because I know without a shadow of doubt, there is another Book Token out there with my name on it.

The moral of my story is quite simple and I wish it had not taken me so long to grasp but there we are.

There are no short cuts.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.
Learn your craft.
Read. Read. Read. No excuses - None.
Submit your work.
Be patient with yourself.
Have fun and enjoy the journey.
Do your best.
Be authentic.
When a rejection arrives in the post or inbox, (which it will if you're doing your job correctly), smile. You are a writer!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Tracey. I have just read such a funny and well written book that really reminded me of you. At first I thought it had been very badly edited onto the kindle but then I realised that the mistakes were part of it. ( not that I am suggesting you make mistakes!) it's called Campari for Breakfast. I read it twice in quick succession and found it hilarious both times. In the second reading I found things I had missed first time round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz, good to hear from you, hope you're well. The book sounds interesting, I'll make a note of the title. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was nodding along as I read this! I can SO empathise. *Warning - Platitude Alert* For me, it's all about the journey, and not the destination. Corny? Probably. But oh so true! I hope you reach the destination that you wish for, and deserve!!

    Great post, TL! Was nice to get to know a little more about you!

    Hedgehog Admiration. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I count you amongst the people I have engaged with who have motivated me and I thank you for that. And it's not corny to want to enjoy the journey - On the contrary, the adventure is the journey and nobody wants the adventure to end. All we require along the way is good company.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Tracey, Tracey, Tracey - you have indeed connected. I have the option to read bazillions of blog posts (that's U.S. number system - nonmetric) and I choose to read a few weekly. I comment on even less. You hit me right between the eyes on this one. There are so many on the same path and in about the same place (including me) that your emotions, your stops and starts, your triumph of chance-taking all rings true. I was just reviewing my account on submittable and I've got a couple of others floating out there. You've inspired me to be more diligent - it was one of my 2015 goals. Keep going...I'm symbolically walking with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne. In a strange way I do feel your presence and a connection if such a thing is possible in this virtual world. You have already been and continue to be an inspiration as do all the wonderful gals in WRWB's.

      Delete
  5. A great reflection on the world of a writer ...

    regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, so glad to see you here. I will try and visit your blog more often. Take care, my friend.

      Delete
  6. This piece of writing will help the internet visitors
    for setting up new webpage or even a blog from start to end.


    Also visit my web blog ... Paramotor how much are hang gliders - Paramotor Powered Paragliding

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog
    and wanted to say that I've really enjoyed
    browsing your blog posts.
    After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope
    you write again soon!

    Feel free to visit my blog post - guys hoodies: http://msshirts.com

    Check out my webpage :: girls rock t shirts

    ReplyDelete

Comments which are constructive and relevant are very welcome but unsolicited links and advertising will be removed and blocked.